Friday, January 20, 2012

~ Greed ~

Prov. 15:27 He that is greedy of gain troubleth his own house; but he that hateth gifts shall live.
***
I learned about greed early on when I saw the way people acted in parting with their money, holding onto their money, and watching people share their money.
 

My grooming was at a pivotal time of growth in my life. I was a young girl overcoming addictions, I was seeking God through the scripture and on a daily basis, He showed me His power, strength and might, which laid for me a solid foundation on which to follow. When hard times hit, and there were many, I never strayed, I remained firm and as people looked on, their daggers went through me but there was no blood coming forth from the wounds. I was empowered by the Word.
 

My husband was bouncing around from job to job never finding the right one for him. We had moved into one of my grandfathers apartments right across the street from my mother, actually it was the first apartment my mother had lived in too, ‘coincidentally’, and when my grandfather who loved my husband to bits, passed away, my grandmother who loved Vince too, allowed us to move into one of the other properties, right next door to my mother and father. She was apprehensive, thinking my mother and I would not like the setup, but my mother, who happened to be one of my best friends, assured her, we could all get along, and for thirteen years, we did!
 

I have so many tales to tell, miracles to share, blessings in my life, but for now I want to share this one.
 

1 Tim 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;
 

The house was run down and beaten up pretty bad and we went in and painted, laid new tile, beautified the place so we could get in there to live. Grandmother was tapping her fingers because she said she’d pay for the paint, but we were pretty much improving a run down property. She would rent it to us for seventy dollars a week for the duration that we lived there. This was a blessing, for a price. You see, when my grandfather passed, grandmother found out that he had had a secret that he couldn’t carry to the grave. He was worth very close to one million dollars!
 

Mark 10:25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Isa. 56: 11 Yea, they are greedy dogs which can never have enough, and they are shepherds that cannot understand: they all look to their own way, every one for his gain, from his quarter.

The scavengers of the family moved in like cockroaches in the dark. My two uncles wanted her to buy them a bar, my aunt wanted to have complete control, my mother just wanted something she never had in her life, her debt to be paid in full. Six kids all wanted a little bit of something. As the months would go on, I would begin my duty as a house cleaner, and the sons would get their bar, they would renovate my grandmothers house under the watchful eye of my aunt who had control of the funds, and grandmother would live with my aunt while the work was done.
 

1 Tim 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
 

Thousands and thousands of dollars were being spent. My grandmother came home to her newly renovated home, a new and different person. She had an air about her that my only explanation could be, was greed had her by the hair and was not letting her go. My husband had worked for my uncle in the reno job, but his son (my cousin) got in the way and my hubby was out. The whole family was hovering like vultures, protecting their one-day-to-be inheritance. Greed had pierced their souls and I had to bear witness.
 

I wanted nothing from my grandmother but the roof over my head, and when I refused taking pay for my house cleaning, my grandmother insisted that she pay! I was now not only her tenant, but her hired hand. Twenty bucks a week was like gold to me. Sometimes it was the only meal that we’d get that day because good old Vince was not one to keep a job.
 

Luke 22:5 And they were glad, and covenanted to give him money.
 

I had sold my soul to the vultures. Oh dear Lord what have I done. I worked at the bar as a short order cook, still cleaned house for my grandmother, and was getting paid. Dirty money in my hands, I let it leave my hand as soon as I got it. Should a recovered alcoholic work in a bar? Well, I don’t recommend it, but I was strong in my faith, and for some reason, God had wanted me here at this time. I was taken advantage of, being asked to work weird hours, scrub floors, toilets, cook food, you name it. But it was work and I needed to work to keep my sanity.
 

Ex.5:9 Let there more work be laid upon the men, that they may labour therein; and let them not regard vain words.
 
Prov. 10: 16 The labour of the righteous tendeth to life: the fruit of the wicked to sin.
 

Vince was sure to keep a close eye on me as he always did, in his obsession with me, he would stop by every job I had, to make sure I was where I said I was so no one would ‘hurt’ me. I saw this as his indebted love for me; I was young and naive and in love. Alone in my own world, he was all I had that I could trust.
I’ll pause here and pick back up to when my grandmother had a stroke.
 

Is. 49:4 Then I said, I have laboured in vain, I have spent my strength for nought, and in vain: yet surely my judgment is with the LORD, and my work with my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your story: