Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Tell-Tale Christian

Why did I name this post, the Tell-Tale Christian? Because it is in us to go around telling everyone that we are Christians. It either makes us feel closer to God, right with the world or maybe we think people will like and accept us if we are Christians.

Matt. 6:1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
 

Rev. 3:15-16 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

I do understand what the term ‘alms’ means; giving to the poor and needy, and yes it fits into this tell-tale Christian post because I know so many, who after helping someone say, “I gave him a dollar, he was begging for it!” Their compassionate heart was ruined just by that statement. We’re not to go around boasting and bragging of our walk with the Lord. “I gave this, my charitable heart did that.”  That makes us as ego driven as the windswept snowdrifts!


We are deceived into thinking ourselves self-sufficient, when in fact we are spiritually blind and self-righteous! With this behavior we are then closing the door to Jesus, our walk becomes futile and each step is like a foot in quicksand, but there is good news in this, Jesus hasn’t closed the door on US! His arms are open and as He stands knocking, He allows us the choice of whether we open the door, or just peek through the peephole. He can only enter if the DOOR is OPEN. And once He enters He is now beside you walking the journey. You are not alone, and He sees everything we do, good AND bad, for Him or against Him.


Did you know that Jesus, to His disciples, said many of times, “Tell no one I am the Son of God.” Did you ever wonder about that? Why would this Glorious King of Kings come to save our souls, not want anyone to know that his Father sent Him to shed blood for you?
He knew mans hearts so well. He knew they would go and tell, He knew His message would reach thousands, millions and billions. Jesus knew we were weak and He was trying so hard to make us strong.
He also wanted us to pray in secret.

Matt. 6:6-7 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

Do you get it? Our spiritual journey is between YOU and HIM.  It is not a display case for you to show off to others. Sure you can share the scripture, but be ready, KNOW from what you preach. You can not stand inside the door, peeking out through a peep-hole, then claim to be a Christian, who walks the walk. That is sort of like window shopping as Christ stands on display.


“Looky there, I know Him, I walk with Him, I praise him daily.” In your excitement you tap on the glass, “Hey Jesus, remember me, I tell everybody about you!” A silence washes over you. You realize something as you look through the glass. You haven’t really let Him in, spiritually, you have Him on display.


There is a barrier between you and Him, called glass. Don’t be on the outside looking in, stand WITH Him, be one with Him, allow Him to live in you! Open the Door! Don’t just be a Tell-Tale Christian.

Rev. 3:20-22 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

2 comments:

Share your story: